|Rev. Edward A. Sullivan, O.S.A. (1905 - 1990)
|Posted by TomCleary
Rev. Edward A. “Tad” Sullivan, O.S.A. entered eternal life April 13, 1990.
Edward Augustine Sullivan was born December 1, 1905 in Lawrence, Massachusetts to Richard and Anna (Cronin) Sullivan. He was Baptized December 3, 1905 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Lawrence.
He received his high school education at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, earning his diploma in 1927.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate September 8, 1927, and professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine September 9, 1928 and solemn (permanent) vows September 10, 1931.
He earned a B.A. in Philosophy in 1932 at Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He studied Theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. from 1932 to 1936. He was ordained a Priest June 11, 1935.
After serving briefly in 1936 on the staff the Augustinian Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, Father Sullivan was assigned in 1937 to St. Mary Catholic Parish, Rockford, Illinois, where he was Assistant Pastor. From 1940 to 1943 he was Assistant Pastor at St. Rita Catholic Church, Chicago, Illinois. In August, 1943 he was commissioned as a Navy Chaplain. He was stationed with the Marine Corps until June, 1946. During his tour of duty he was at the Marianas Islands, Saipan, Tinian and Guam.
After being discharged from the Navy, Father Sullivan returned to St. Rita Catholic Parish, Chicago, where he stayed as Assistant Pastor until 1951. In that year he became a Teacher at St. Rita High School, Chicago. He also served as Director of the Augustinian Seminary Guild from 1956 to 1966. The Guild raises funds to support Augustinian programs of formation.
In 1958 Father Sullivan was transferred to Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, where he was a Teacher and Sub-prior (assistant superior) of the Augustinian Community. In 1974 he retired to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago. He later transferred to the Augustinian Monastery at Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts. He died there on Good Friday, April 13, 1990.
Father Sullivan was noted in his final years for his humor, his willingness to be involved in community projects and his enthusiasm in helping as much as possible in the school. Many have fond memories of Father “Tad” Sullivan.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence.
Memorial gifts may be made to Augustinian Guild, Tolentine Center, 20300 Governors Hwy., Olympia Fields, IL 60461-1081.