|Rev. Edward S. Griffin, O.S.A. (1907-1982)
|Posted by TomCleary
Rev. Edward S. Griffin, O.S.A. entered eternal life January 2, 1982.
Edward Stephen Griffin was born October 24, 1907 in Holyoke, Makssachusetts to Edward and Catherine (Courtney) Griffin. He was Batpized November 2, 1907 at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Holyoke. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation in October, 1924 at the same church.
Edward received his education at East Dwight Street School, Holyoke, and at Holy Rosary Catholic Elementary and High Schools, Holyoke. He studied for two years at St. Anselm College, Manchester, New Hampshire, then transferred to Niagara University, Niagara Falls, New York, where he hearned a B.A. in 1929. After working in the offices of Stroheim and Romann, a wholesaler of interior decorating fabrics in New York City, and as the manager of an A & P Food Store in Holyoke, in 1935 he entered the Augustinian program of formation at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate September 9, 1936. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine September 10, 1937 and solemn (permanent) vows June 1, 1940. He pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1937 to 1941. He was ordained a Priest June 10, 1940.
When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, Father Griffin was affiliated to that Province. He was assigned in 1941 to St. Rita Catholic Parish, Chicago, Illinois, as Assistant Pastor. In 1959 he was transferred to St. Augustine Catholic Church, Detroit, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor.
Father Griffin taught at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, during the 1961-1962 school year. He served as Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Church, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, during 1962 and 1963. He was then taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1963 to 1968. He was a Teacher and Procurator (Business Manager) at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, from 1968 to 1972. In 1972 he returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, where he was a part-time Teacher.
He became ill while returning from a brief Christmas vacation and died January 2, 1982 in Hartford, Connecticut.
Father Griffin was always a gentle, kind, gracious and compassionate Priest. He had a wonderful sense of humor.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.
Memorial gifts may be made to Augustinian Guild, Tolentine Center, 20300 Governors Hwy., Olympia Fields, IL 60461-1081.